Cider Braised Chicken
4 chicken leg quarters
2 tablespoons olive oil
5 - 6 carrots - roughly chopped
1 onion - chopped
5 cloves garlic - sliced
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup cider vinegar
2 teaspoons dried thyme
3 cups chicken stock
salt and pepper
3 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a large enameled cast-iron pot, heat olive oil.
- Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper and add to pot, skin side down.
- Cook over moderately high heat, in batches, turning once, until golden brown, about 12 minutes.
- Spoon off all but 2 tablespoons of fat in pot.
- Add carrots, garlic and onion - cook over low heat until tender - 5 minutes.
- Add flour and stir for 1 minute.
- Add cider vinegar and stir, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of the pot. Bring sauce to a boil and cook until thickened, 3 minutes.
- Add broth, thyme and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Nestle the chicken in sauce, skin side up. Transfer pot to oven and braise chicken for about 50 minutes, until cooked through.
- Remove pot from oven and preheat to broil.
- Transfer chicken to a baking sheet, skin side up. Broil on middle rack of the oven until skin is golden and crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Simmer sauce over moderate heat until reduced to about 1/2 - 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Return the chicken to the casserole, skin side up, and serve.
- Special thanks to a a southern-soul.